This post has been sponsored by Behr. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
One of my very favorite ways to spend summer evenings is to call up a few friends, make some tasty food, and enjoy time together outside.
I’ve always loved spending time on my deck, but I’ve never wanted to entertain guests as it was not party-ready. The wood was unfinished, dull, and lacking life.
Staining the deck was a project that has been on my wish list since moving in a few years ago. However, like most of us, there’s rarely time when I’m not on the go. My schedule is filled with meeting with clients, working to meet deadlines, designing new paper goods, and setting up for events. Finding time to stain the deck was seemingly impossible, or so I thought.
This stain made the project a breeze! With just one coat, it’s ready to use within 60 minutes, making it ideal for homeowners with hectic schedules. Plus, (after those quick 60 minutes) it’s water-resistant and offers mold, mildew, and UV protection, so you don’t need to worry about the weather ruining any of your deck-staining plans.
Since it dries so quickly, you (and a helper or two!) can easily Prep, Stain, and Entertain ™ All In the Same Day.
For all of the preparation and application details, you can learn more here.
Here are a few tips I learned along the way!
- Properly prepping the space is crucial to setting yourself up for staining success.
- To remove existing coatings, you’ll want to make sure to use a stain and finish stripper and wood cleaner to clean and neutralize new or stripped wood.
- If you have new wood, you still need to use a wood cleaner product such as BEHR PREMIUM® No. 63 All-In-One Wood Cleaner to remove any mill glaze and clean the surface.
- Next, rinse off the wood with a pressure washer or garden hose, make sure to remove any standing water and let dry for about an hour.
- I chose Behr Quick Dry in Transparent Cedar Naturaltone as the finish to complement my wood floors in the attached dining room. I absolutely love how the transparency lets the wood’s natural grain shine through.
- To cover the large boards, a flat lambskin pad applicator is recommended. You’ll want to avoid styrofoam pads for an exterior deck application as they will disintegrate during use. Shy away from using rollers for application – you’ll end up in splash city!
- A paint mitt and natural bristle brush worked perfectly for the spindles, and a toothbrush was my best friend for those hard-to-reach corners.
- The formula is very forgiving, so no need to worry about streaks and drips.
- It also provides mold, mildew, and UV protection!
- A fresh new deck sets the perfect backdrop for entertaining guests!
- In the spirit of keeping things easy, tacos are the perfect way to finish off the night.
- Simply pick up some shredded lettuce, cheese, taco shells, beef, chips, guacamole, a side or two of fruit, and you’re all set for a casual taco night!
Prep, Stain, and Entertain™ – All In the Same Day (literally) for this busy family! You can find Behr Quick Dry at your local Home Depot.