Sometimes it’s completely necessary to gather a couple friends and cozy up for some hot chocolate and great company. In Nebraska you often hear, “If you don’t like the weather, wait 15 minutes.” This winter has proven to be no different; one day we’re hit with snow, and the next day it’s 60 degrees. To make the most of the cold front that swept through this weekend, I teamed up with my dear friend Jordan Brunmeier to throw a vintage-inspired hot chocolate party.
The fixings included cinnamon sticks, crushed peppermint, marshmallows, chocolate chips and Hershey’s kisses. These wooden spoons made perfect stir sticks.
An authentic letterpress tray and vintage crates set the foundation for the hot chocolate bar. A variety of glassware was used to add classic appeal while mixing old with new.
Crock Pot Hot Chocolate
Prep time: 10 min | Bake time: 2.5 hours
- ¾ c. sugar
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 c. cocoa powder
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ½ gallon milk
- 1 c. hot water
- Combine ingredients in a crock pot and stir.
- Set the temperature to a medium/high setting and let cook for about 2 – 2.5 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Once the mixture is hot and the chocolate is melted, your drink is ready to serve!
Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe
Prep time: 10 min | Bake time: 10 min
- 1 c. butter
- 1 ½ c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 T. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 c. flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
Cinnamon Sugar Mix
- 2 T. sugar
- 3 T. cinnamon
*Makes about 30 cookies.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cream butter and sugar in a bowl, and add eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Popping the dough in the fridge for a few hours makes it easier to work with, but it’s not necessary.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl to create the cinnamon sugar mix.
- Scoop dough into 1 in. balls, and roll in the cinnamon sugar mix until well-coated.
- Place dough on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for approx. 10 minutes.